Phase 1 Research in Market Samurai
As of 1 June 2012 Phase 1 research is conducted by the Marketing consultant. This procedure outlines how to perform Phase 1 research using Market Samurai, and how to analyse the results.
Step 1. Install Market Samurai
- To install Market samurai on your computer click here. Then open the ‘Thank you for purchasing email’ on L:\Market Samurai to acquire the registration key.
Step 2. Create a project
- Open Market Samurai and select ‘New’ to create a new project:
- Keyword: type in the keyword for which you want to perform stemming
- Title: name your project
- Language/region: default is English, but if needed change the language
- All countries and Territories: select ‘all’ if your region of analysis is Google.com and select ‘Australia’ if your region of analysis is Google.com.au
- You will need to have an Adwords account for keyword research to be completed. You can easily create an account here, and will need to log in via Market Samurai
- Click ‘create’
Step 3. Stemming
- The first step in keyword research is stemming. We conduct stemming to generate more keywords for the research.
- From the menu select ‘keyword research’
- In the top menu, change the phrase length to a maximum of four keywords
- In the right-hand column you will see the phrase you entered for stemming. Now click ‘generate keywords’
- Often the stemming phrase generates a long list of other keywords. You will have to make a selection of keywords that are relevant for your research. To do this, click on the √ icon next to a keyword. All the other keywords will disappear, but to bring them back tick ‘show removed box’ at the bottom. Continue selecting appropriate keywords using the √ icon.
- Once you’ve selected all the appropriate keywords from the stemming phrase, add your other keywords in the ‘add keywords’ box and click add.
For example, you want to research the following keywords:
- B2b marketing
- B2b blog
- B2b plan
You’ve performed stemming for ‘b2b marketing’ and made a selection of keywords. You now also need to add ‘b2b blog’ and ‘b2b plan’ to your research.
- Click ‘Keyword analysis’ to generate the results for Phase 1 research
- Ensure to use the ‘align.me’ filter. If the filter hasn’t been set yet, select the following settings:
- Total searches
- SEO Traffic (SEOT)
- Phrase-to-Broad (PBR)
- Min: 20
- SEO Comp (SEOC)
- Title/Comp (SEOTCR)
- Select all your keywords and click ‘Analyze keywords’
- Click ‘export’ to export the results to excel
Step 4. Keyword selection and analysis
- You now need to analyse your data, and decide which keywords you want to subject to the competitive analysis. The following indicators are important:
- Searches (broad) > average number of people who search for this phrase daily
- SEO Traffic (broad) > the maximum potential daily clicks that a site ranking in the number one position can potentially achieve
- When reviewing traffic, it’s important to consider the relevance of the phrase when selecting keywords. A phrase with really low traffic, but high relevance can still be worthwhile optimising for. For example, the traffic for ‘Sales and Marketing alignment’ is quite low, but the phrase brings in the right type of website visitor for align.me, and is therefore still worthwhile optimising for. So, consider the market the customer is playing in, and the relevance of the keywords.
- Phrase to broad > the percentage of phrase-match searches out of broad-match searches for this keyword
- PBR should be 20 or higher. The higher the PBR, the higher the relevance of the phrase, and the more likely people are searching for the phrase.