Sales and Marketing alignment is often talked about and rarely fixed. Sales asks Marketing to do more advertising and run more events. Marketing thinks that Sales is out to lunch and fails to capitalise on all their hard work.
Senior management says they have to align; so they meet more often, swap staff occasionally and try to be friends. Unfortunately, simply being nice to each other is not the solution to gaining Sales and Marketing alignment.
So what do you align them to, and how do you do it? You need a solution which:
- Aligns Sales and Marketing to the buyer;
- Creates an agreed plan that outlines how each will operate; and
- Builds a common language and shared outcomes, strategies, processes and measures.
Alignment requires a complete sales and marketing planning solution.
The alignment between Sales and Marketing is one of the main issues faced by business-to-business (B2B) companies worldwide. Businesses which enjoy strong Sales and Marketing alignment are:
- Outgrowing their competitors by 5.4%
- 38% better at closing proposals
- Churning 36% fewer customers each year
- Source: align.me alignment benchmark study 2004/2005 : 1400 professionals : 84 countries
When we updated this research in 2013 (published in 2014), we found techniques that deliver:
- 67% higher probability that marketing-generated leads will close,
- 108% better lead acceptance, and
- 209% stronger contribution to revenue from marketing-generated leads.
In 2013 we updated our research and found many new twists in the tale. We teamed up with Marketo to study the Sales and Marketing alignment practices of over 500 companies. Our 2005 research shaped the alignment debate around the world. What we learned in 2013 rocked us all again! We reveal unexpected findings and employ you with techniques that deliver 67% higher probability that marketing-generated leads will close, 108% better lead acceptance, and 209% stronger contribution to revenue from marketing-generated leads.
Check out the top 10 Findings from the 2014 Sales and Marketing Alignment Webinar
Or read the whole 2014 Sales & Marketing Alignment Report here.
In our 2005 Sales & Marketing Alignment – MarketingProfs Benchmark Report 2005 align.me CEO Hugh Macfarlane details the findings of his landmark study into the Sales and Marketing alignment of 1,400 businesses worldwide. Discover why businesses that are focused on aligning their Sales and Marketing are significantly outperforming their competitors, and see what they’re doing to get these two functions on the same page.